Saturday, March 28, 2009

Keith's Treasures

Is it a rock? Is it a paperweight? No. It is petrified wood my father brought back from a trip to the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona. I'm not sure if snatching pieces of petrified wood is like taking coral from the Great Barrier Reef, but it's been in the family for a long time. So, if you are a Petrified Forest ranger who happens to be reading this, please don't come after me.

Another angle of this ancient wood. Fascinating. 
The colour is a rusty red. 
A beautiful starfish brought back from Myrtle Beach.


My parents are very keen to learn about what we're doing in our class. My mother is a retired school teacher and she still gets excited going into teacher stores. She is always finding things that I can use. They recently got back from a trip to Myrtle Beach where she bought me several books and other things like educational posters. We visited my parents last weekend and they took us to a book warehouse where my husband, Duncan, and I filled a large box with books and only spent $30.00. I counted 32 books that we managed to fit in the box. At least half of those will go to our class. I found some very interesting books the kids will love, including three Nick Bantock-style books exploring the world of fairies, vampires, and mythical creatures respectively. 
My father is a lifetime collector of odds and ends (a lot of who I am can be explained if you meet my dad). Although my parents continue to be addicted to yard sales, they have also been de-cluttering and my father has given me several interesting pieces. I will try to photograph the more unusual things he has given me in future posts. 
Above, find some treasures from the K. T. Hawkins' cabinet of curiosities which are destined for our class.


1 comment:

  1. I just discovered your "other blog"! This is so amazing! You are the BEST teacher. Sophia and I just read your older posts and she would so LOVE to be in your class. You are such an inspiration! Keep up the great work!
    Carol
    x

    ReplyDelete