Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Promise to Myself

I've started reading Last Child in the Woods (see last post for more). This is a major book that is really helping me cement my beliefs as a parent and as a teacher. Children need to be set free outdoors and allowed to explore nature. I promise that each weekend Duncan will have the chance to go somewhere outdoorsy so that he can have fun in the natural world. Often my husband works on either or both Saturday and Sunday, so I'm typically left alone with Duncan without the car. There's still so much we can do in the city.
This past Sunday we went to Bluffer's Park in Scarborough. The day had been mild, but when we got there , there was a chill in the air. Still, it felt great being down by the lake and surrounded by trees and birds. These binoculars used to belong to me when I was a child. Miraculously they survived all these years.

Father and son.


I'm learning to let go and allow Duncan to try things I know might not always be a good idea - like dipping his boot into Lake Ontario in February...
And walking along a rocky wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment