Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Beachcombing at the Don

After a lengthy hiatus, The Foolscap Flyer is back. I've been busy teaching, being a mother, and spending more time reading, watching films, and taking photographs. With the weather slowly starting to warm up, I took Duncan down to the Don River (from Gerrard to Pottery Road) this past weekend to see if it's true that you can find old washed-up treasures. Duncan had fun sloshing around in the mud and icy water. Why not? We filled a bag with broken pottery. Duncan found a lot of pieces, including half of a huge clay pot that was buried. I didn't take a picture of it, but now I wish I had. He dug it up with a big stick he had found and then used the stick as a lever. Duncan's very good with handling sharp objects around the house, so I let him handle the broken pottery on his own. Much of it had been weathered by the sand. Kids are constantly being told not to do things, so it's great when it's your own child and you can just let them explore without being overly cautious. We also found a very old medicine bottle that was a little cracked, but otherwise in good condition considering its age. Duncan scored a jar filled with golfballs. It looked like someone else had found them and just left them there. I'd like to get some junky old golf clubs in the summer so we can put put around the backyard. I can't wait to go back and look for more treasures from Toronto's past.

No comments:

Post a Comment