Friday, April 6, 2012

Parenting: Two Extremes

Now that I've been a mother for six years and a teacher for five, I've become aware that there are two horrible types of parenting and one sensible way.

On one end is the cellphone parent, always talking, texting, and totally neglecting his or her own child. I've been to birthday parties and watched parents ignore other parents and their own child and sit over to the side texting, or Facebooking.

The other extreme are the helicopter parents who micromanage every minute of their child's day. Often these kids are also "bubble wrapped" and not allowed to do anything remotely dangerous or fun. Yesterday our school had to file outside when the the fire alarm was pulled. It was a false alarm, but the kids were outside on a cold morning without their coats on. Another teacher told me he thinks these moments are good for kids. True, I said. "It helps toughen them up."

I know of someone who is constantly on the phone when with her son. I want so badly to say something, but I always err on the side of caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment