Friday, February 13, 2009

Artsjunktion, Junktion, What's Your Function?


Today seemed like a fitting day to begin a thrifting teacher blog. Today was a day for professional activities, so I decided to finally go to Artsjunktion. It is open to teachers in the Toronto District School Board and it is run by an art-loving woman in the bottom of a west-end school. The space was like a cross between Goodwill and an art gallery. I didn't think I'd be able to pull myself out of there. There were mountains of fabric, buckets of corks, old electronics (we could have used these last month when we built robots), shelves filled with National Geographics and books, toys, and box after box of random things from manufacturers, restaurants, printing presses, etc. I picked up a goodly selection of vintage '70s/'80s film transparencies which looked like they were used for advertising, a few metres of fabric, foam board, and some other things pictured in the sidebar. It was all free! I'm not sure what will become of everything I took, but I am starting up two craft clubs at our school, not to mention art lessons in our class. I will post pictures as and when the beautiful things emerge. 
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment