Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Cheap Teacher

Here are some recently acquired goodies for the class that cost little, or nothing.
I garbage picked (or is that repurposed?) this tea tray today. It was at someone's curb, with a "Free Stuff" sign on it.
It turns out to be a primo quality St. Michael tray from Marks and Sparks. I'll use it for plants in my classroom. It's a slightly gaudy creation from the seventies - but then again, so am I.
I finally got my classroom library fully organized this year, but I was lamenting the lack of biographical and autobiographical books. Look what I scooped up at the St. Luke's Anglican book sale: a book about Anne Frank, a biography about Dr. Seuss, and Roald Dahl's autobiography for kids. I'll be reading them all. Three for $1.00. Not bad.
I'm not sure if the content of these S.E. Hinton classics is too mature for my Grade 5s, but I had to buy them. What gorgeous editions. When I was 11 or 12, my sister, Lise took me to see The Outsiders at the movie theatre. My mom flipped out when she found out. Not quite E.T.
This book looked interesting. I'm not familiar with this series, but I will read it. It's a shame that so many teachers wait until African Heritage month to discuss issues connected to slavery.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I was in your class to get a hold of some of these books! Roald Dahl is one of my all time fav. authors! I hear you on the African Heritage month tip too! I didn't even know about the month dedicate to it until I was like in Grade 10 and growing up in Public school only got a hold of these books by accident or by heavily exhausting my school librarian---I'll never forget my crazy Librarian who always told us tales about Anansi---AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete