Monday, May 18, 2009

Get Thee to a Library

Last Friday our class went to the local library to learn about the Summer Reading Club. I was told that there would be some sort of presentation, but I had no idea what we were in for. It turned out that this super spunky mime artist named Noriko was set to perform a one-woman performance of The Funny Little Woman - a children's story based on a traditional Japanese fable. She danced and managed to work the audience almost as if performing a pantomime. And she didn't speak at all. 

This performance reminded me of those happy childhood memories of going to the Northern District Library on Saturday mornings. I was a child of the '70s and '80 - just when multiculturalism was beginning to be taken seriously. Toronto Public Libraries really valued (and still does) the quilt of cultures that make up this country. I remember being entertained by folk singers from around the world, story time, plays, crafts, and puppet shows. It was all free. My mom used to let me just walk to the library by myself. I'd always come home with a shopping bag full of books. 
Noriko in action.
Keeping the gods happy with rice balls. 

My new local library is S. Walter Stewart. When I heard it was going to be renovated, I was worried that they would ruin it. It was always my favourite place to be. When I was working on my English degree, I used to study there. They had no security system and amazingly enough, they had original oil paintings from a member of the Group of Seven hanging nearby spinning racks of paperbacks. 

When it reopened last summer, I was left speechless. It has to be the most beautiful library in the city. It is much busier these days, but it is still a local "best kept secret." There is a subtle concept of outer space in the decor. Apparently, this is a nod to the time period the library was originally opened - Sputnik, etc. The space theme is apparent in the children's section in the basement. They even have star and moon-shaped stools and a spaceship playhouse for kids. I started taking pictures and the librarian asked me to stop for security reasons. This was funny considering how the librarian and I took dozens of pictures of Noriko's performance at the library in Scarborough. All I wanted was a picture of Duncan in the spaceship. I know I have one on file somewhere. I'll try to dig it up for a future post. Everyone was taking pictures during the reopening week last year. I will also blog about Northern District. 

Stunning ceiling at S. Walter Stewart.

A compass surounds the main floor of this circular library. Positively interstellar! 
Modernist wheelchair ramp. No child leaves this behind. 
A nod to the past: Someone had the great idea of preserving the old (pre-amalgamation) East York Library logo in marble. Many of the older books at S. Walter Stewart, still have this logo stamped inside. 
Just before I had to put my camera away, I took a picture of Duncan playing with this contraption. I'm not sure what they call it, but if you put your library card in the slot, the archway lights up. Very cool. 

It was a good year... 
Sensuous shaped facade. 

View from the corner across the street. Support your local library and check out S. Walter when you have some free time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment