Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dorothea Lang for Kids

Thrifty teachers are always on the prowl for cheap or free books. I hit Value Village and Goodwill all the time and as a result, have a fabulous classroom library. I don't subscribe to the point of view that it's up to the school/board/government to make sure great books are in the classroom. If I did, I'd have a pretty limited library. We've got to be realistic.

I now feel like a new teacher again, searching for great books to read to Primary students. Here's what I got at Value Village last week.
Three books for .99 each. But they're three great books.

This book connects to so many areas of the Social Studies curriculum as well as Language and character education. I'm not afraid to tackle big topics in our classroom. Even with younger children, it's important to have discussions about current events, history and social issues such as poverty. This book is a vivid snapshot about the effects of people in the Dust Bowl during the Great Depression.
Here's Lang in action.
Above and below the effects of the great stock market crash of 1929 in a simplified way that kids can understand.

Lang photographed many pictures of children.

There you go. Keep your eyes peeled for great books at great prices. It becomes just a part of your daily routine.
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment