Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Am Thrifty Teacher - Hear Me Roar

While some of my esteemed colleagues are already in France or other spectacular places this summer, I've been lumbered with the never ending and thankless job of clearing out my old classroom and moving downstairs. I had no idea how much teacher clutter I'd amassed over the past three years. Teachers who enter my room for the first time think I've been teaching for decades. "Nope. I just collect a lot of stuff," I tell them as if it's all normal and natural. If they ever do a teacher's addition of Hoarders, you may find me curled up in a ball and yelling at the therapists, "Don't get rid of that faded piece of construction paper. It could be used for decoupage!"

Anyway, thanks to my industrious husband, I finally managed to haul the last of my Junior grade stuff out of Room 204 before the janitor turfed us out this afternoon. Will I miss my old classroom? I thought I might have that bittersweet Welcome Back Kotter moment where I find myself standing in the hallway staring winsomely into that big, lonely looking classroom. The truth was I was hot, tired and covered in two inches of dust. I wanted to go home, shower and guzzle back a 2-L bottle of club soda. There's no time for soft focus reflections. Tally ho!

The truth is that I'm happy to be starting a fresh new grade in a different room. There is much work to be done. A lot. Room 108 was looking tired and a little beat up when I began bringing my belongings down the second last week of school. I'm sure the same could be said of mine. I'll take some "before" pictures in a few weeks. Room 108 will be transformed into a beautiful hub of learning. It will be a room filled with wonderful books, engaging centers, pets, plants, interest tables, bright colours and fun. That's my goal. It may take some time.

Toronto's going through a heat wave right now. People are being warned to stay indoors and only go out if you have to. On my way back from my morning course at OISE (Reading Part 1), I missed the bus, so I walked home from Coxwell Station. Just as I approached the street I turn on to get home, I found a rustic wooden bookshelf that someone had left by the curb. I know it will be put to good use in my classroom next year, so I slung it over my shoulder and carried it home. Until it makes it to my new classroom it will remain parked in our hallway holding assorted books that I will be bringing to the classroom in the fall.

Even if you don't have a lot of money to spend on your classroom, there are so many ways you can make your room more student-friendly and cozy without spending much money. Sometimes you can blag some great freebies if you keep your eyes open or just ask for stuff.

That's all for now. Keep on thrifting in the free world!

No comments:

Post a Comment