Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Black Book of Colors

While in a book store yesterday, I discovered The Black Book of Colors. It is unlike any book I have seen before. It is a book that invites sighted people into the world of someone without sight. On one side of the page is text written in print and in braille. The text describes colour through imagery. The accompanying page features a raised line drawing illustrating the text. There is no colour in this book of colours.
I can think of so many ways to use this book in our class. It ties in with Science (anatomy/the eye), Art, Language, and Character Education (equity and empathy). I will create a lesson plan connected to this book, which I can post at a later date. The pages were difficult to photograph. You really need to touch this book.



If you look at the top of the page, you'll see braille. There is also a braille alphabet at the back of the book.

2 comments:

  1. I also just bought this book while making a lesson unit on senses. It's a fantastic book that my students will be sure to love. I can't wait to read how you will incorporate this into your lessons.

    And I'm having a great time reading your thrifting blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It's wonderful. I don't care if it gets covered in fingerprints. I'd rather that the students experience the book in its fullness.
    Thanks for becoming my first follower. If you ever wish to send me ideas, pictures, etc., send me a comment and I'll pass along my email.
    All the best,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete