Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thrifting at the Library

Yesterday it rained off and on. At one point during the afternoon, my son and I took shelter at the Pape Avenue Library. There, I discovered a treasure trove of withdrawn hardcover books that cost $1.00 apiece. I've bought several books from the Toronto Public Library over the years. The selection is hit-and-miss, but the prices are great and you always feel like you've made a donation to a worthy cause. If you live in a different city or town, find out if your library sells withdrawn books. It's another great way to collect books for the classroom.
Here's what $6.00 bought me. All of the books were in pretty good shape.
I love the story and illustrations in Hot City. I grab Eyewitness books whenever I see them used. They are packed with information and fantastic photos and illustrations.
On the left, a book about George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. On the right, Monica Hughes' A Handful of Seeds, which I'll use for teaching inferencing.
Here we have a factual book about Halloween and a book about the various multicultural special days observed in Canada.
Detail from Hot City.
Above and below: Gorgeous illustrations from the Gershwin book.

No comments:

Post a Comment